Translate

Sunday 27 December 2015

Sudanese Mullah

The recipe for mullah was originally discovered in a newspaper by my mum back in the 1990s - she didn't quite follow the recipe and made her own version of it. It became my favourite childhood dish (my tastes buds have always been adventurous!). I recently learnt that “mullah” can mean any kind of stew in Sudan, normally made with local ingredients. The main ingredient I copied from my mum’s recipe is cinnamon. It really makes this dish for me. 


Here’s my vegetarian mullah recipe for 3-4 good size portions:

5 potatoes
2 onions

500g chickpeas
3 garlic cloves (pressed)
olive oil
400g tomato purée
2 x pinch of cinnamon
1 pinch chilli powder
salt & pepper


Peel and cook the potatoes. Once they're cooked, cut them into small cubes. Fry the onions in olive oil until they have soften, then add the potatoes, vegetables and spices. Cook until the potatoes are soft (about 20-25 minutes). Make sure you use enough seasoning.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment